tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Is any work going on to improve the pcap format so we have have multuple link-types per capture?

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe () richardsharpe com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:24:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Hannes Gredler wrote:

i'd rather propose a new DLT type that encapulates those frames;

Hmmm, if you are proposing a DLT type that says that the real DLT type is
in the frame header, then I agree, as that will make the compatibility
issues go away, I think.

In that case, can I propose:

/* Define a comment frame ... */
#define DLT_COMMENT        0xFFFE
/*
 * Define a DLT type that says the real DLT type
 * is in each frame header
 */
#define DLT_PER_FRAME_TYPE 0xFFFF

And then suggest that we come up with a frame header format that allows us
to handle such capture files?

/hannes

--
Regards