tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Libpcap :: 802.3 and Ethernet headers

From: Andrew Brown <atatat () atatdot net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 10:09:32 -0400

Am looking at the headers from 802.3 and Ethernet (RFC 894).  My
question is:  Off the wire how does one, libpcap for example,
differenciate between 802.3 and Ethernet encapsulation?

By looking at the type/length field.  If it's <= 1500, it's 802.3; if it's
1500, it's Ethernet.  (Actually, as I remember, according to the spec
there's a small set of values that are neither valid for 802.3 nor for
Ethernet, but I don't remember what the range is.)

that'd be 05dd to 05ff.  05dc is 1500, and 0600 is xerox ns idp.  :)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior () daemon org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet