tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Capturing promiscuously on all interfaces in Linux

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:02:31 -0800

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 02:24:25AM -0800, Joe Amici wrote:
The man page did indicate some issue with promiscuous
capture on the "any"  interface. I wanted to confirm
this.

The man page is entirely correct; as it says, promiscuous mode doesn't
work on the "any" device.

Also, if this is a recognized issue in 0.6.2, has
there been any sort of resolution in later (cvs)
releases?

No.  Nobody has ever written code to support promiscuous mode on the
"any" device; I don't know offhand what would be involved in doing so.

You can, of course, run multiple instances of tcpdump on different
interfaces.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe