tcpdump mailing list archives

Capturing promiscuously on all interfaces in Linux

From: Joe Amici <joetcpdump () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 02:24:25 -0800 (PST)

Hello folks,

I was trying to capture promiscuous traffic using
libpcap 0.6.2 on Linux. On my multi interface box, I
have some span port traffic coming into eth0. When I
captured on the eth0 interface promiscousouly, I can
see the traffic coming in (which is not addressed to
the eth0 address). But when I want to do the same
thing on the "any" (cooked mode) interface in the hope
of capturing such traffic on all interfaces, I dont
see any traffic, not even the eth0 traffic.

The man page did indicate some issue with promiscuous
capture on the "any"  interface. I wanted to confirm
this.

Also, if this is a recognized issue in 0.6.2, has
there been any sort of resolution in later (cvs)
releases?  I would appreciate any suggestions in case
it needs to be patched.

Thanks,
Joe