tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: adding new devices to libpcap

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:12:46 -0800

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 01:55:32PM -0800, Michael Richardson wrote:
  I do not think that you need to be ifconfig'ed to talk to the packet
capture mechanisms on Linux. Just go read netif_rx() and netif_receive_skb()
in net/core/dev.c. So long as you can call with an skb, you are probably set.

So what mechanism prevents packets received promiscuously from going to
sockets other than PF_PACKET sockets?  They'd probably want to use that
mechanism, as those packets presumably aren't supposed to go to, for
example, the IP input stack.  (I guess you could tag them with a bogus
protocol number....)
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe