tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: adding new devices to libpcap

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:38:33 -0800

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:28:11AM +1300, Sean Irvine wrote:
(a) Modify pcap-linux.c to include support for our
    device. This would mean it would be possible to
    simultaneously use our device and eth0. However,
    there will be a performance penalty deciding
    which device is to be read from each packet.

BTW, the decision need be made only once per "pcap_read()" call, so if
if multiple packets are read from the device in one read, the decision
need be made only once per read from the device (although on Linux only
one packet is currently read from the socket, so it'd be made once per
packet when capturing from a network interface device).
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe