tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Multi-line output

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:45:04 -0800

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:14:56PM -0800, Bill Fenner wrote:
I realize that our agreement on multiple line output may have been just
on the mailing list (i.e. not documented anywhere) and was long enough
ago that newer developers didn't even know about it, so I'm not trying
to place specific blame.  I think the real solution to this problem is
to create another flag, orthogonal to -v, to say whether any printer
should do multi-line output or not.

Tethereal uses "-V" to specify that the multi-line detailed dissection
of the packet, rather than the single-line summary, should be printed.

(snoop uses "-v" for this.)

We should perhaps write down some rules on the type of output tcpdump
printers should report - including an indication that, even without
multi-line output, tcpdump should supply a reasonable amount of
information for packets.

There should probably also be
support functions to make it easier to write printers that want to use
multi-line output.

If we have an explicit "multi-line output" flag, perhaps we should also
arrange that printers such as "ip_print()" not print anything after any
printers they call return - print stuff out *before* calling the
printer.  Right now, if a printer called by "ip_print()" or something it
calls prints multiple lines, flags such as the DF flag will get printed
on the *last* line, which might not be what we want.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe