tcpdump mailing list archives

Multi-line output

From: Bill Fenner <fenner () research att com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:14:56 -0800

Some time ago there was a big push to clean up any printers that used
multi-line output to not output multiple lines unless more than one -v
was used.  Today I tried a current CVS tcpdump to debug a DHCP problem
and found that the bootp printer is useless without -v ("BOOTP/DHCP,
length: 300") and prints multiple lines with -v.

I realize that our agreement on multiple line output may have been just
on the mailing list (i.e. not documented anywhere) and was long enough
ago that newer developers didn't even know about it, so I'm not trying
to place specific blame.  I think the real solution to this problem is
to create another flag, orthogonal to -v, to say whether any printer
should do multi-line output or not.  There should probably also be
support functions to make it easier to write printers that want to use
multi-line output.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
  Bill
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe