tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: AIX BPF Problems

From: Shaun <delius () progsoc uts edu au>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:11:26 +1100 (EST)

Does it also set immediate mode with BIOCIMMEDIATE?

Yes, in fact it does so before EVERY read.

I.e., it does a BIOCIMMEDIATE ioctl call before every read call?

Yes, I can't explain why but every call to pcap_dispatch from my
application results (when linked with AIXs version of pcap) in a
BIOCIMMEDIATE call. The disassembly indicates that pcap_read performs this
call, whether you like it or not.

That's grotesque.  If it's unnecessary, it's a bogosity in their
libpcap; if it *is* necessary, it's a bogosity in their BPF
implementation.

I'm not convinced it is necessary since tcpdump (which is not linked with
this pcap) does not do so.

Cheers,
Shaun

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe