tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: solaris loopback

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:39:04 -0800

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 02:47:34PM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
i tried this once, a few years back, and gave up.  interestingly,
before i gave up, i tried all the other character devices with the
same major number as /dev/hme (/dev/le, /dev/ip, /dev/rawip, etc)

Those might be clone devices, in which case the major number is that of
the "clone device" and the minor number is, if I correctly remember the
STREAMS clone device code from when I last looked at it in the late
1980's/early 1990's, the major device number of the device being cloned.

and found that using /dev/sp (aka running tcpdump -isp0) will make the
kernel panic.

Well, that's a bit gross; even if the device *isn't* a DLPI device it
should fail more gracefully.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe