tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: solaris loopback

From: Andrew Brown <atatat () atatdot net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:47:34 -0500

Is it possible to do packet capture using the loopback device on
solaris(dlpi)? I tried passing /dev/lo0 and got a pcap error: /dev/lo:
No such file or directory. I see that the ethernet device /dev/hme0 is
symbolically linked from /dev/hme -> /devices/pseudo/<some dev file> but
this is not the case with the loopback lo0.

i tried this once, a few years back, and gave up.  interestingly,
before i gave up, i tried all the other character devices with the
same major number as /dev/hme (/dev/le, /dev/ip, /dev/rawip, etc) and
found that using /dev/sp (aka running tcpdump -isp0) will make the
kernel panic.

i never found any packets, though.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior () daemon org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet