tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap patch

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:03:54 -0700

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 09:02:14AM -0700, Admin-Stress wrote:
Where can I find libpcap that has a patch from Sebastian Krahmer?

Many versions of libpcap have code from Sebastian Krahmer in them.
Which particular patch from Sebastian do you want?

I need it for installing snort so that I can use "interface any".

OK, you want the "make libpcap on Linux not suck" changes from Torsten
Landschoff and Sebastian.  Those were added in libpcap 0.6.

I looked up in the website htpp://www.tcpdump.org, but I cant find any
specific info about that patch.

See the CHANGES file in the libpcap source:

        Tuesday January 9, 2001. guy () alum mit edu. Summary for 0.6 release

                New Linux libpcap implementation, which, in 2.2 and later
                kernels, uses PF_PACKET sockets and supports kernel packet
                filtering (if compiled into the kernel), and supports the "any"
                device for capturing on all interfaces.  Cleans up promiscuous
                mode better on pre-2.2 kernels, and has various other fixes
                (handles 2.4 ARPHRD_IEEE802_TR, handles ISDN devices better,
                doesn't show duplicate packets on loopback interface, etc.).

Or ... is the latest libpcap (version 0.71) has already included this patch?

Yes, and so did 0.6, 0.6.1, and 0.6.2.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe