tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Multiline output

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:29:47 -0800

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 11:29:11AM -0500, George Bakos wrote:
1. Would there be interest in a commandline option "-y" fo syslog-style
single-line output? Most of the newline characters could be replaced,
conditionally, with commas, leaving a much cleaner output stream for
machine parsing.

That might be useful.

However, we might also want a policy of "tcpdump, without any -v flags,
outputs only one line per packet, period", and require "-v" or "-vv" to
get multi-line output.

Of course, one headache here is that tcpdump is producing output
intended for humans to read, and it's often hard for scripts to parse
that output; an option to produce output intended for other pieces of
software to read might be useful.

2. Would there be broad enough interest in providing compile-time options such as:

      --disable-bgp, --disable-isakmp, etc.
      or
      --disable-multiline

Only if we don't have some way to force single-line output; I agree that
"-y" and/or "without -v only one line is produced per packet" would be
better.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe