tcpdump mailing list archives

RE: AIX 5.1, tcpdump 3.6.2 and libpcap 0.7.1 pr oblem

From: jonl () yubyub net
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:36:53 -0400 (EDT)

Ebright, Don said:
Guy,

I ran a program that generated capture statistics every couple of
seconds using a version of libpcap that had been modified to issue an
error message whenever it ignored an EFAULT.  I could cause the EFAULT
to occur
sporadically by generating bursts of network traffic, and the dropped
packet counter increased every time the error message appeared.  This
pattern was consistent through a few trials on a couple of different
machines, so I was convinced that the EFAULT was being set by the BPF
driver whenever packets were dropped.

As a followup:

AIX's tcpdump (as supplied with 5.1, unless our admin's messed with it)
dropped many packets when sniffing a 0.5-1MB/s UDP stream.  The recompiled
version sans the libpcap patch wouldn't report any dropped packets, but
did fail after about 100 to 1000 packets.  tcpdump with the patched
libpcap doesn't report any dropped packets and seems to work well.
I'm not sure why AIX's supplied tcpdump doesn't work well, where as a
fresh copy of tcpdump seems to work very well.
--
-Jon
 "As three unwavering bands of light, we were simple and separate and

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe