tcpdump mailing list archives

RE: AIX 5.1, tcpdump 3.6.2 and libpcap 0.7.1 pr oblem

From: "Ebright, Don" <Don.Ebright () compuware com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:45:49 -0400

Guy,

I ran a program that generated capture statistics every couple of seconds
using a version of libpcap that had been modified to issue an error message
whenever it ignored an EFAULT.  I could cause the EFAULT to occur
sporadically by generating bursts of network traffic, and the dropped packet
counter increased every time the error message appeared.  This pattern was
consistent through a few trials on a couple of different machines, so I was
convinced that the EFAULT was being set by the BPF driver whenever packets
were dropped.

I haven't seen any documentation on the AIX BPF driver.  There is a chapter
about libpcap in the AIX 5.1 "Communications Programming Concepts" manual.
The documentation doesn't appear to mention this issue, presumably because
the AIX 5.1 libpcap ignores EFAULT internally.

With some AIX BPF driver documentation we could better understand the intent
of the EFAULT or perhaps even avoid it in some cases if the 64K driver
buffer size limit could be increased.

Regards

Don