Snort mailing list archives

why does "config disable_decode_alerts" give me "Missing argument to RULE_PATH"?

From: Dorian ROSSE via Snort-sigs <snort-sigs () lists snort org>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 07:47:01 +0000

Hello,

You have a lot of path for your rules path this is the error you are happen you need finally to create only one path
for your rules path you can too edit your path so rules and preproc rules warning many works of preproc rules don't
understand (you should create yours paths without the hashtag because this disable the line too with a
dollar($RULE_PATH) will tell where the program will search the rules for your rules path finally you should don't
forgot a path is absolute (this is the root of your path)) I have copy paste the area where you should edit the code
(this is near the begun of your snort.conf) :

"""
# Path to your rules files (this can be a relative path)
# Note for Windows users:  You are advised to make this an absolute path,
# such as:  c:\snort\rules
# 20220514 - iqworks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SMKYgXFxuc
#var RULE_PATH ../rules
#var SO_RULE_PATH ../so_rules this is for linux https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SMKYgXFxuc
#var PREPROC_RULE_PATH ../preproc_rules
var RULE_PATH  D:\Network Monitoring Tools\Snort2022\Snort\rules\
var $RULE_PATH  D:\Network Monitoring Tools\Snort2022\Snort\rules\
#var SO_RULE_PATH ../so_rules  for linux
var PREPROC_RULE_PATH D:\Network Monitoring Tools\Snort2022\Snort\preproc_rules\"""

I hope your success,

Thanks you in advance for your answer,

Regards.

Dorian Rosse.