Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Packet Processing issue

From: Dorian ROSSE via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 16:35:43 +0000

Hello,

I copy past the snort HTML doc about fast setting (but for ADSL I Don't found about the number of core for the moment) :

1.4.3 High Performance Configuration

If you want Snort to go fast (like keep up with a 1000 Mbps connection), you need to use unified2 logging and a
unified2 log reader such as barnyard2. This allows Snort to log alerts in a binary form as fast as possible while
another program performs the slow actions, such as writing to a database.

If you want a text file that's easily parsed, but still somewhat fast, try using binary logging with the “fast” output
mechanism.

This will log packets in tcpdump format and produce minimal alerts. For example:

    ./snort -b -A fast -c snort.conf

Have a nice evening,

Regards.

Dorian ROSSE.