Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort+ and logging

From: Russ via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 10:48:55 -0400

On 9/20/18 4:55 PM, Meridoff via Snort-users wrote:

чт, 20 сент. 2018 г. в 19:48, Andy Swartzbaugh <andy.swartzbaugh () gmail com <mailto:andy.swartzbaugh () gmail com>>:

    1)  My understanding is that Barnyard was a remedy to cope with
    Snort2's single-processor (i.e., not multi-processing) design and
    that Snort3 should be able to handle logging without needing
    another process to handle the logging.

It is true. But Barny2 is able to send alerts to BD or remote syslog - it is usefull..Snort3 now doesn't support it
Snort 3 can integrate with Barnyard 2 with this configuration:

    bool unified2.legacy_events = false: generate Snort 2.X style events for barnyard2 compatibility

The problem is that Snort 3 generates more and different data than BY2 can process.  An alternative is to use JSON and elastic stack or splunk.  See e.g. https://blog.snort.org/2017/11/snort-30-with-elasticsearch-logstash.html.

    2) from
    www.snort.org/downloads/snortplus/snort_manual.html#_sniffing_and_logging
    <http://www.snort.org/downloads/snortplus/snort_manual.html#_sniffing_and_logging>
    :

    snort --pcap-dir /path/to/pcap/dir --pcap-filter '*.pcap' -L dump
    -l /path/to/log/dir

    from
    www.snort.org/downloads/snortplus/snort_manual.html#_alert_syslog
    <http://www.snort.org/downloads/snortplus/snort_manual.html#_alert_syslog>
    :

    This must be done in snort.lua as opposed to the command line:

    alert_syslog =
    {
            facility = local3,
            level = info,

    }

Just to clarify, facility and level are strings so level = 'info' etc. (enums take string values):

$ snort --help-config alert_syslog
enum alert_syslog.facility = auth: part of priority applied to each message { auth | authpriv | daemon | user | local0 | local1 | local2 | local3 | local4 | local5 | local6 | local7 } enum alert_syslog.level = info: part of priority applied to each message { emerg | alert | crit | err | warning | notice | info | debug } multi alert_syslog.options: used to open the syslog connection { cons | ndelay | perror | pid }

It is true for alerts. But I've asked about snort process (daemon) log . Nevertheless - thank you for info, it is usefull.

    If you wanted to send the logs to another server, that would be
    handled within rsyslogd (I use Ubuntu).  Create a file named
    "/etc/rsyslog.d/10-snort.conf" : (the lower the number, the higher
    the priority) :

    and put the following line in it:

    local3.* @loghost

    On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 8:52 AM Meridoff via Snort-users
    <snort-users () lists snort org <mailto:snort-users () lists snort org>>
    wrote:

        Hello, I've heared that barnyard2 is out of date for snort3.
        Though it can be used .

        1. What are the alternative (to barnyard2) ways for logging
        snort3 alerts to remote data-bases or remote syslog etc ? May
        be it will be included in snort3 project in future?

        2.Small question - snort3 itself writes its own log to syslog
        (-M option). What are the ways to specifiy internal daemon
        logging  methods : to file or syslog LEVEL ot smth orher ? I
        found nothing concering this  in config

        Thanks for response
        snort-users-leave () lists snort org
        <mailto:snort-users-leave () lists snort org>

        Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the
        latest Snort news!

        Please follow these rules: