Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort+ and logging

From: Meridoff via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 23:55:37 +0300

чт, 20 сент. 2018 г. в 19:48, Andy Swartzbaugh <andy.swartzbaugh () gmail com>:

1)  My understanding is that Barnyard was a remedy to cope with Snort2's
single-processor (i.e., not multi-processing) design and that Snort3 should
be able to handle logging without needing another process to handle the
logging.

It is true. But Barny2 is able to send alerts to BD or remote syslog - it
is usefull..Snort3 now doesn't support it

2) from
www.snort.org/downloads/snortplus/snort_manual.html#_sniffing_and_logging
:

snort --pcap-dir /path/to/pcap/dir --pcap-filter '*.pcap' -L dump -l
/path/to/log/dir

from www.snort.org/downloads/snortplus/snort_manual.html#_alert_syslog :

This must be done in snort.lua as opposed to the command line:

alert_syslog =
{
        facility = local3,
        level = info,

}

It is true for alerts. But I've asked about snort process (daemon) log .
Nevertheless - thank you for info, it is usefull.

If you wanted to send the logs to another server, that would be handled
within rsyslogd (I use Ubuntu).  Create a file named
"/etc/rsyslog.d/10-snort.conf" : (the lower the number, the higher the
priority) :

and put the following line in it:

local3.* @loghost

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 8:52 AM Meridoff via Snort-users <