Snort mailing list archives

Re: Ubuntu 18 and so rules error

From: "Patrick Mullen \(pamullen\) via Snort-users" <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 17:53:19 +0000

To bring the list back into this, James, Russ, and I were discussing offlist (full disclosure, they were discussing and
I was watching in awe) and hopefully we have a solution.  It turns out that Ubuntu and possibly other distributions
have an oddity regarding the runtime linker knowing when shared libraries (shared object rules) have dependencies on
other shared libraries.  I have modified the so_rules/Makefile to include this fix but the results unfortunately won't
be seen until our release on Tuesday.  So if you're affected, please hold tight and let us know if the problem does or
does not go away when this goes public.

Thanks,

~Patrick