Snort mailing list archives

Re: High Amount of http_inspect: OVERSIZE REQUEST-URI DIRECTORY

From: wkitty42 () windstream net
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2017 13:29:25 -0400

On 10/05/2017 07:29 AM, Besal Mon wrote:
Hi,

I was going through on of your reply from Snort mail list below - http://seclists.org/snort/2014/q3/453

wow... that's really old...

I was hoping if you can advice the below is also because of directory string is longer than the max configured ?

i will do this this once in private... the NOTE at the end of my post(s) still applies so this reply is also CC'd to the snort list...

*[119:15:2] http_inspect: OVERSIZE REQUEST-URI DIRECTORY [Impact: Potentially Vulnerable] From "WKSE0XX1IPS02" at Thu Oct 5 09:06:23 2017 UTC [Classification: Potentially Bad Traffic] [Priority: 2] {tcp} 109.156.91.119:56865 (united kingdom)->62.7.228.234:80 (united kingdom)*

Can you please advice how we can increase the URI lengths.

in your snort.conf, look for the "preprocessor http_inspect" section... then look for the "oversize_dir_length" setting and adjust the number larger or smaller as desired... you should read the README.http_inspect file, as well... probably the other README.* files, too ;)

do NOT remove the '\' at the end of the line when changing that number, either... that is the "line continuation" indicator and is needed in this format...

you should look at your server logs or your data of the outgoing requests to see what's causing those long URLs... we find a lot of them are for ads... some URLs may indicate inbound infiltration or outbound exfiltration attempts... while you are looking at the data, you can also determine a decent path length size for the number above...

*Re: High Amount of http_inspect: OVERSIZE REQUEST-URI DIRECTORY*

/From/: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
/Date/: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:04:44 -0400