Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about "stream5: TCP 4-way handshake detected"

From: Victor Roemer via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 13:45:26 -0400

Fairly confident this alert is for the 4-way variant of the typical 3-way handshake.

Like so

|a( syn ) b( ack ) b( syn ) a( ack ) |

however, several years ago, someone noticed some peculiar behavior where the the the initiating host (read client), upon receiving a syn response (not a syn+ack) would result in the the client sending a |syn+ack| back to the server; the handshake then tends to look like this:

|a( syn ) b( syn ) a( syn,ack ) b( ack ) |

Which at the time (probably still true), would cause many middleboxes on a network to reverse the tracking. E.g. now your firewall thinks your web browser is the server.

​
--

I googled a bit, found this which looks to be written by the same fellows https://nmap.org/misc/split-handshake.pdf