Snort mailing list archives

Re: QinQ and 802.1ah headers

From: "Al Lewis \(allewi\) via Snort-users" <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 10:41:32 +0000

Hello,

        So it doesn’t look like the traffic (0x88e7 tag) is supported as seen from the exit stats (ipv4 packets are
zero).

Breakdown by protocol (includes rebuilt packets):
Eth: 5 (100.000%)
VLAN: 5 (100.000%)
IP4: 0 ( 0.000%)

As a workaround you could try to:

1) move the capture/port mirror closer to the internal hosts so that those tags arent present.

2) run snort inline between your lan segments going outbound/inbound (before the tags are stacked on).

Albert Lewis
ENGINEER.SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
Email: allewi () cisco com