Snort mailing list archives

Re: dmz monitorin

From: Darren Spruell via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 13:05:19 -0700

On Jul 22, 2017, at 6:44 AM, Cziple Csaba via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org> wrote:

Hi,

I m trying to monitor my dmz vlan with a dedicated snort host. My question is should i use a mirrored port ? Or the
ids works if the host is part of that particular vlan.

Membership in a VLAN will not cause a host to receive all traffic for a VLAN. If you want that, you will need to
configure a port mirror for the VLAN. Depending on your configuration and feature set of switch you could also
monitor/mirror the uplink port for the VLAN for inbound/outbound traffic for VLAN.

- Darren