Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Alert Processing Survey

From: Jack Pepper <pepperjack () afferentsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:46:37 -0500

I wrote my own output processor that talks to an escalation handler (also
home grown).

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 11:29 AM, <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:

On 03/14/2017 07:50 PM, James Lay wrote:
On Tue, 2017-03-14 at 13:48 -0700, m-one wrote:
1.  I'm wondering how the vast millions of Snort Users are monitoring
Snort alerts?  So please, let's here it -- how are you answering the
question is my Snort application effective?  Where do you look to
examine Snort Alerts?

tail -f snort.fast
sguil for interesting hits (doesn't show portscany noise)

over here we tail the alert file and parse it with an application... that
application could report to a database if one desired to go that route...
our
app is an active response tool that issues IP blocking rules based on its
configuration... tuning snort and the app is about the worst part but once
tuned, everything is very nice...

--

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest
Snort news!