Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort read a incremental file

From: Paul Li <paul () scybersecurity com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 14:39:18 -0500

Looking for a way that Snort monitors multiple servers but don't want to
install sensors on these servers. So try to use tcpdump sniffing  the
network on these servers and send the data to a central server where Snort
is deployed. First thought is to write file(I.e. as Felix advice using
named pipe) but realize it works for monitoring one server, but may not
multiple servers.... is there a possible way do that? How about set up a
virtual network interfac on the snort server and let tcpdump write data
from those targeting servers to that remote virtual interface on the snort
server?

Thanks,
Paul