Snort mailing list archives

Re: Detecting DDoS attacks with Snort

From: Ana Serrano Mamolar <B00315494 () studentmail uws ac uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 14:54:08 +0000

Thanks for your response Joel.

I have also installed PulledPork to have more updated rules, but still don't understand why I have to get an alert per
packet in a DDoS attack.

For example, following your link, I randomly selected one rule with a DoS classtype that I copied bellow. If I use
scapy to send 2000 packets that  match the signature showed in this rule, Snort will trigger 2000 alerts. That's what I
can not understand from the beginning. Why 2000 alerts. Shouldn't exist a kind of threshold to consider an attack or
not, depending on the amount of packets received/sent?

# alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 31335 (msg:"MALWARE-OTHER Trin00 Daemon to Master message detected";
flow:to_server; content:"l44"; fast_pattern:only; metadata:ruleset community; reference:cve,2000-0138;