Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort inline mode and bridge

From: Russ <rucombs () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 06:51:36 -0400

On 10/26/16 5:02 PM, Vincent Li wrote:
it is not a problem, but some optimal improvement I would like to see.
I have a lower end PC with two NIC running snort IPS bridge mode
between my ISP modem and my  router at home.  I use pulledpork to
update signatures every day and I scripted snort to restart to take
the updated signatures after new signatures finishing downloading. the
snort restart takes about 5  minutes to finish and during these 5
minutes period, my home Internet is down since snort start the DAQ
bridge after  SnortInit which take most of the time I think. btw I
have not tried snort reload
You should try reload, that is exactly what it is for.  Snort will keep
running during the reload so you don't have that downtime.

my question is : can the DAQ bridge be started earlier in the snort
startup process, maybe before SnortInit , so that traffic can be
passed through early to reduce the network connectivity downtime to
minimum.
Snort has "fail open" support during startup because some initialization
must be done after opening the DAQ interfaces. During that time, which
is typically very brief, it will pass packets so your network remains
functional.  However, most of the startup time is prior to the fail open
state.  The change you suggest is possible but reload should make it
unnecessary.

let me know if I made myself clear :)

Thanks

Vincent