Snort mailing list archives

Re: Packet Performance Monitor

From: Mike Cox <mike.cox52 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 15:01:08 -0400

Thanks Russ, much appreciated.   This kind of begs the question, when PPM
suspends a rule, does the single rule get suspended or the entire tree
(which could be multiple rules)?

Thanks.

-Mike Cox

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Russ <rucombs () cisco com> wrote:

Hey Mike,

This has been a "feature" of Snort for quite a while and likely will only
be fixed in Snort++, which inherited the issue.  It arose when we added a
performance feature to compile all the rules that share a fast pattern
match end state into a single tree that can be evaluated more quickly than
iterating over the individual rules.  Such rules tend to have a lot in
common and the common part is evaluated just once.  Consequently, when the
tree triggers a latency event, it could be one or more rules that are at
fault.  I'm thinking we will add a mapping and report the index that can be
used to find the rules.  This is in our backlog.

Thanks
Russ