Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort as HIDS

From: "Davison, Charles Robert" <cdaviso1 () vols utk edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 21:18:08 +0000

Brian,

You really should look to something else as a HIDS, like:

http://www.la-samhna.de/samhain/
https://ossec.github.io/

Snort is specifically a NIDS and should be used as such. You won't be able to do FIM or log collection. I came into an
AWS environment where they used snort as a HIDS Only for the fact that it checked a box for PCI. That same environment
ended up switching to Samhain as a HIDS and funneled all the traffic in a VPC through snort as a NIDS. Hope fully this
helps.