Snort mailing list archives

Snort running inline but not functioning as IPS

From: Robin Kipp <mlists () robin-kipp net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 17:59:22 +0100

Hi all,
I’ve just installed Snort 2.9.8.0 on a Debian 8 server.
The server has 4 network interfaces, which are all combined as a bridge interface named br0. The server bridges traffic
between the internal network and the internet and I’d like to use Snort for intrusion protection.
As far as I understand, the DAQ NFQ module can be used to run Snort in inline mode and block bad traffic, even on a
bridged interface.
So, in order to set this up I first added netfilter queues and redirected traffic to them using those commands:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 1
iptables -I FORWARD -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 1
iptables -I INPUT -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 1
iptables -I OUTPUT -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 1
I did exactly the same for IPv6, only using ip6tables instead of iptables for each command.
Afterwards, I launched Snort with the following commands:

snort -u snort -g snort -q -Q --daq nfq --daq-var device=br0 --daq-var queue=1 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

Snort then starts up without any problems and also generates alerts for rule violations. However, I feel like it’s not
dropping or rejecting traffic that triggers any of the rules, it rather seems to work only as an IDS.
For instance, I tried pinging some blacklisted IPs, the rules were triggered and generated alerts but the ping and ping
response would go through nevertheless.
So, could anybody kindly tell me what I’m missing here?
Thank you very much for any hints!
Best regards,
Robin