Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Runs But Stops Working

From: "Carter Waxman (cwaxman)" <cwaxman () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 19:28:32 +0000

The switch is -6. Other than for a core or other sensitive issue, let’s
keep this on list. Tuning advice is generally beneficial to the others.

While increasing the memcap can improve raw detection capability, it also
increases the amount of data Snort will need to process, and thus the time
to complete processing.

Also, from the logs you sent earlier, even after the prunes, there were a
relatively few number of tracked TCP sessions consuming a large amount of
memory. This could indicate the presence of active large long-running
sessions, where less-active sessions would be pruned LRU first. I would
investigate if/why those sessions exist and go from there.

You can find a little more detail here:
https://www.snort.org/documents/using-perfmon-and-performance-profiling-to-
tune-snort-preprocessors-and-rules

They asymmetric traffic case may be another area to investigate,
considering the volume of prune messages you were seeing before increasing
the memcap.