Snort mailing list archives

snort not logging anything in log file

From: Sharif Uddin <Sharif.Uddin () spectrumgeo com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 16:16:13 +0000

Hello

I have just upgraded to latest version of snort.

I copied back my config file and started snort

snort -q -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i em2 -D

however it seems to not be logging anything when I know it should. I have lot of traffic on the port which I can see
via tcpdump.

[root@snort snort]# pwd
/var/log/snort
[root@snort snort]# ll
total 72
-rw-rw-rw- 1 snort snort     0 Mar 13 16:03 barnyard2.waldo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root  root      0 Mar 13 16:03 delayed_job.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root  root      0 Mar 13 16:04 development.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root  root   5480 Mar 13 16:11 production.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root  root  65352 Mar 13 15:57 sid_changes.log
-rw------- 1 snort snort     0 Mar 13 16:10 snort.u2.1426263017

Sharif Uddin
Development/Support Engineer

Spectrum Geo Ltd