Snort mailing list archives

Re: SOLVED - Trouble with HTTP status message rule

From: Research <research () nativemethods com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 22:58:37 -0400

On Mar 12, 2015, at 7:04 PM, Joel Esler (jesler) <jesler () cisco com> wrote:

Keep in mind from_server = to_client.

On Mar 12, 2015, at 6:02 PM, Research <research () nativemethods com> wrote:

On Mar 12, 2015, at 5:57 PM, Research <research () nativemethods com> wrote:

Hello,

I am currently writing a rather basic rule to track 404 resource not found instances in Snort on a web server.
While I am aware that the logs for the web server process themselves track this, I’d like to generate a Snort rule
that does the same for some testing.

Currently my rule is:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET $HTTP_PORTS \

(msg: "Web resource not found"; flow:established,to_server; content:"404"; http_stat_code; priority:4; sid:2000110;
rev:001;)

I have used the http_stat_code modifier for the content, but when I attempt to locate a non-existent resource:

http://mywebserver.com/notthere

…the rule does not fire.

I was wondering what I am missing.

Thanks

Discovered what I was doing wrong.  Should have been tracking this as a response *FROM* the server, not inbound
traffic.

The following rule solves the problem:

alert tcp $HOME_NET $HTTP_PORTS -> $EXTERNAL_NET any \

(msg: "Web resource not found"; flow:established,from_server; content:"404"; http_stat_code; priority:4;
sid:2000110; rev:001;)

Good point!

With the rule I also swapped the direction after the protocol:

        alert tcp $HOME_NET $HTTP_PORTS -> $EXTERNAL_NET any \ (snip)

…instead of incoming traffic:

                alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET $HTTP_PORTS \ (snip)

…and now the rule fires.