Snort mailing list archives

Re: Generator ID map file location changed ?

From: Research <research () nativemethods com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 14:04:18 -0500

Hi,

Ah, I see.  Ok, that makes sense.

Thanks.

From: research () nativemethods com
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:58:42 -0500
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Generator ID map file location changed ?

Hello,

On page 12 of the PDF format of the “Snort 2.9.7 Manual) [1], it notes that the mapping for GID’s (Generator ID’s),
can be found in:

"For a list of GIDs, please read etc/generators in the Snort source. In this case, we know that this event came
from the “decode” (116) component of Snort.”

From the source tar ball, I can see the etc subdirectory:

~/snort_src/snort-2.9.7.0/etc

In there I can see “gen-map.msg”:

-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 31K Sep 16 14:24 gen-msg.map

Inside this file I can see a mapping to “decode” for GID 116 (as referenced in the first quote from the manual), so
is this the file that the GID mappings are in now, *NOT* generators, or am I still looking in the wrong place ?

  # In general, the generators.h is the header defining the GID and SID of Snort components. Each component (GID) is
capable of generating various outputs (SID). I would use the gen-msg.map to lookup mappings

If so, am I correct interpreting that a GID of 1 means the generator was “snort general rule” which matches up to a
custom rule I wrote ?

# GID 1 refers to textual rules, including the rules that ship from VRT and your custom textual rules.

Thanks

[1] See:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/snort-org-site/production/document_files/files/000/000/051/original/snort_manual.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIXACIED2SPMSC7GA&Expires=1425073972&Signature=9uEeOQH3nRJTwXr6c7XxK%2F%2FWqAU%3D