Snort mailing list archives

Frag3 target default setting

From: Research <research () nativemethods com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 16:18:44 -0500

Hi,

I have noticed that in the default snort.conf file that ships with Snort 2.9.7.0, the frag3 preprocessor’s setting for
“policy” is “windows:

        preprocessor frag3_engine: policy windows detect_anomalies overlap_limit 10 min_fragment_length 100 timeout 180

Based on the latest Snort manual, I note the following about target based assembly:

        "The basic idea behind target-based IDS is that we tell the IDS information about hosts on the network so that
it can
        avoid Ptacek & Newsham style evasion attacks based on information about how an individual target IP stack
operates.”

In my case, I am using Snort in passive mode on a web server based on Linux.  The target that I am protecting is not a
network,
but a single Linux host.

In this case, should I not change the policy to linux, as in:

        preprocessor frag3_engine: policy linux detect_anomalies overlap_limit 10 min_fragment_length 100 timeout 180

…or am I a) incorrect or b) the differences are minimal ?

Thanks