Snort mailing list archives

Re: $eth1_ADDRESS still a valid variable in 2.9.7.0?

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:51:58 -0700

On 2015-02-17 01:32 PM, Al Lewis (allewi) wrote:

Can you send us
the conf file you are using? Or how you are defining the variables?

Thanks!

Albert Lewis

QA Software Engineer

SOURCEFIRE, Inc. now part of CISCO

9780 Patuxent Woods Drive

Columbia, MD 21046

Phone: (office) 443.430.7112

Email:
allewi () cisco com

FROM: Starner, Mark
[mailto:mark.starner () unisys com]
SENT: Tuesday, February 17, 2015
12:54 PM
TO: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
SUBJECT: Re:
[Snort-users] $eth1_ADDRESS still a valid variable in 2.9.7.0?

Ok.. I get that…. So I come back to my original question.

How do I
get $ethX_ADDRESS variables assigned if -enable-sourcefire is configured
and I am not running snort as root? I thought running as root was a bad
idea?

Here is the section of code from parser.c

#ifndef
SOURCEFIRE

/* If snort is not run with root privileges, no
interfaces will be defined,

* so user beware if an iface_ADDRESS
variable is used in snort.conf and

* snort is not run as root
(even if just in read mode) */

DefineAllIfaceVars(sc);

#endif

Is there another way to enable that?

Curious what the
thinking is here?

Thanks

Mark

FROM: Joel Esler
(jesler) [mailto:jesler () cisco com [9]]
SENT: Tuesday, February 17,
2015 12:21 PM
TO: Starner, Mark
CC:
snort-users () lists sourceforge net [10]
SUBJECT: Re: [Snort-users]
$eth1_ADDRESS still a valid variable in 2.9.7.0?

Unfortunately
that disables everything that we test against with the ruleset. I
suggest you not do that.

On Feb 17, 2015, at 12:03 PM, Starner,