Snort mailing list archives

Re: Modifying Rules Works One Direction, but Not T'Other

From: Doug Burks <doug.burks () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 14:58:38 -0500

Replies inline.

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 2:51 PM, colony.three
<colony.three () protonmail ch> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 2:09 PM, colony.three
wrote:
I've found that the current SecurityOnion has some serious problems. It
does not even -define-:
EXTERNAL_NET
HOME_NET
HTTP_PORTS
... for some reason.

Security Onion does indeed define those variables. Are you sure
you're looking at the right file? Are you sure you ran through Setup
properly? Are you sure you followed our Installation guide?
https://code.google.com/p/security-onion/wiki/Installation

I set it up in accord with the page you reference, and your videos, which
are very helpful.

I know these are not defined because of the weird behavior I was getting in
modifying rules, and by inserting in rule-update many instances of:
echo EXTERNAL_NET=$EXTERNAL_NET
echo HOME_NET=$HOME_NET
echo HTTP_PORTS=$HTTP_PORTS

... all blank.

These variables are not defined in the bash environment and that's why
your tests are showing up blank.  These variables are defined in your
snort.conf file.  Please see /etc/nsm/HOSTNAME-INTERFACE/snort.conf.

And these are mandatory for the GPL Emerging Threats
rules.

I can't report the problems because SO requires G**gle Groups, and I'm
not
signing up for that.

Any particular reason why? You could always create a Google account
just for Google Groups.

I've never trusted G**gle for anything, anyway, anyhow.  It's the greatest
data-mining operation in the history of the world, and the masses blithely
hand over all their searches (which tell much about them), their contacts,
their networks of friends and coworkers, and their very locations at all
times as well as voice phone calls.  Apple is no better.  Someday people
will start to realize that their life history follows them -forever-... like
the proverbial 'school permanent record'.  Times they were bullied, all the
stupid things they've said and written, will be accessible to every future
employer, romantic engagement, neighbors, rivals, and police when the
definition of 'what is wrong' changes.  Think it's not accessible?  I've
seen it.

I just don't use G**gle.

You should also be able to use our Google Group as a standard mailing
list just like this Snort mailing list.  Send email to
security-onion () googlegroups com from your existing non-Google email
account you're using here.  You'll receive replies at the same
non-Google email account.  At that point, it's really no different
than using this Snort mailing list.

Further, it's looking like the GPL Emerging Threats rules may not be
well-written, which are installed by SecurityOnion.
What is going on with that?

Security Onion allows you to choose Sourcefire VRT or Emerging Threats.

I need to somehow research the rulesets that are available.  I'm getting a
clear implication from a Snort developer that the ET rulebase is poorly
written.  Trying to get more info now.

Again, Security Onion allows you to choose either Sourcefire VRT or
Emerging Threats.  It's your choice.

--
Doug Burks
Need Security Onion Training or Commercial Support?