Snort mailing list archives

Re: profiling

From: "Carter Waxman (cwaxman)" <cwaxman () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 15:37:43 +0000

Percent of total indicates the percentage of time spent in the particular
preprocessor / phase of detection. If you add all of the values together,
then you will get a value greater than 100. Processing is performed using
a hierarchy, so percent of total will include time for the layer + time
spent in sub-layers. Layer simply refers to the depth of calls. For
example, for s5TcpData, the call hierarchy is s5->s5tcp->s5TcpState (layer
0->1->2).

This should help clarify things:
https://www.snort.org/assets/163/WhitePaper_Snort_PerformanceTuning_2009.pd