Snort mailing list archives

Re: I have written a Linux shell script to enable all Snort rules which were commented out

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 20:54:03 -0400

On 4/7/2014 6:04 PM, Teo En Ming wrote:
Dear List,

Originally, I had wanted to use Pulled Pork to enable all Snort rules which were
commented out/disabled. But there is no comprehensive guide/manual on Pulled
Pork which covers every step. So I thought better and decided to write a very
simple Linux shell script to un-comment/enable all the Snort rules which were
commented out/disabled. The source code only consists of a few lines.

the first thing to note is that you do not want /all/ rules enabled... you would
get so many alerts for traffic that is normal or FP (false positive) for your
network that you would not be able to see the real threats traversing your
network...

you have to tune snort for your network traffic... that means that you need to
know what software is being used and enable only those rules that cover
vulnerabilities that are known in that software...

tuning is a major item... there is no "one size fits all" glove for any
network... without tuning, you are fighting a loosing battle...