Snort mailing list archives

Re: Disablesid.conf and classtype

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:18:00 +0000

On Feb 26, 2014, at 10:30 AM, SnortFan <SnortFan () yahoo com<mailto:SnortFan () yahoo com>> wrote:

Hi Joel,
    I think I may have found it.  In the pulledpork.conf. I can set the ips_policy.  That will set for me the rule
policy category mentioned in the article. I could then go back to my enablesid.conf and turn only only the categories
not included in the ips_policy.

Bingo.

So for example: if I set the ips policy to security and them add the VoIP catagory in my enablesid.conf, I will get:

CVSS score 8 or greater
Age current back 3 years
Rule categories:
Malware-cnc
Blacklist
SQL injection
Exploit kit
App-detect
VoIP

I'm I on track?

Yes.

Also for the VoIP,
Since it's an add on would it activate rules over the age setting older than the policy?

Yes.  You can turn on whatever you want.  That overrides our settings.  We just ship things in this fashion based upon
the criteria.  You should always adjust your policy to your local network.

--
Joel Esler | Threat Intelligence Team Lead | Open Source Manager | Vulnerability Research Team

Thanks,
Ed

Sent from a mobile device.