Snort mailing list archives

Re: SMTP Backscatter

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 19:35:15 -0500

On 2/16/2014 10:40 AM, Jeff Kell wrote:
On 2/16/2014 10:25 AM, waldo kitty wrote:
On 2/16/2014 9:54 AM, Dave Corsello wrote:
Guys, thanks, but I don't need advice on setting up SMTP--at least not
in this situation.  Just looking for an answer to the following:  Can
Snort somehow: 1) detect an outgoing 450 4.1.1 error;
yes, it can easily do this...

and in response, 2) block all incoming SMTP traffic from the sender IP for a
period of time?
i'm not aware of this ever having been done...

It may have been possible with certain incantations of Snortsam, which
could block *specific* traffic for certain output plugin modules.

understood...

Current Snortsam functionality, with plugin support in barnyard2 (no
more snort source patching) can be used to block the source IP
(unilaterally).  So you would block the attacking IP across the board of
protocols/destinations.  We do this on our inbound SMTP (to detect
spamming / farming) as well as outbound (compromised hosts used to send
spam).

here's the problem that i see... everything references the *source* IP causing
the alert... when one is using a rule to detect an internal server's response to
an external attacker, the internal server is the source of the alert... you
*don't* want to block that server... instead, you want to block the
/destination/ IP...

i've never run snortsam because i didn't hear about it until after i had my
solution in distribution... i have done some research on snortsam but dropped it
when the snort developers basically made it obsolete... in my researching, i
don't recall seeing anything where one could block the destination server in a
situation like this... if this is/was possible, i'd love to know about it :)