Snort mailing list archives

Re: SMTP Backscatter

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 10:25:18 -0500

On 2/16/2014 9:54 AM, Dave Corsello wrote:
Guys, thanks, but I don't need advice on setting up SMTP--at least not
in this situation.  Just looking for an answer to the following:  Can
Snort somehow: 1) detect an outgoing 450 4.1.1 error;

yes, it can easily do this...

and in response, 2) block all incoming SMTP traffic from the sender IP for a
period of time?

i'm not aware of this ever having been done... *I* do it in my active response
system but it requires that the system have a way of knowing to reverse the IPs
and then for it to reverse them during its processing where in the end it issues
iptables rules to block the remote site... a feature is that at some point in
the future, the block expires and is removed from iptables...

my response system is a perl 'app' that monitors the default snort ALERT file...
one can easily code up something similar and create the necessary custom rule(s)
for snort to use... if you are interested in more details and doing some coding,
you may contact me offlist if you like...

A 450 4.1.1 error means "recipient address rejected: unverified
address: mailbox full or unavailable".  In this case, I'm sending out
450 errors because messages are being addressed to random, invalid
accounts on my domain.  As was suggested, it might be best to just let
SMTP continue to handle this.  But I view it as an attack of sorts, and

it pretty much is... especially when it might be escalated into a (D)DOS...

my preference would be to stop it as far out on my perimeter as
possible.  My apologies in advance if this question exposes ignorance of
some Snort basics...

its all good ;)