Snort mailing list archives

Re: Ubuntu Upstart Scripts for Multiple Snort Processes

From: Eric G <eric () nixwizard net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:53:14 -0400

On Aug 27, 2013 7:35 PM, "Jason Ish" <lists () unx ca> wrote:

I don't know upstart myself, but instead use Fedora/CentOS..  I use
supervisord (http://supervisord.org/) to accomplish this.  Personally
I like the little bit of separation it provides from the OS boot
scripts.  Might be worth checkout out.

Actually CentOS 6 makes use of upstart in place of init, so it might be
easier in terms of "going with the flow of the distro" to get your scripts
working as upstart scripts

One thing you can do is make two separate upstart config files for your two
snorts... Upstart is smart enough to automatically restart snort as well if
it sees the daemon die.

I wrote upstart scripts for Moloch on CentOS... here they are:
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/moloch-fpc/ImhLjuN7RkM

This might be enough info to get you started writing snort upstart scripts
for what you want to do... the startup dependencies are similar to the
dependencies I had for Moloch.

If you have questions feel free to ask... I'm new to upstart but Linux and
I go way back :)

--
Eric
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ericgearhart