Snort mailing list archives

Re: ERROR: dynamic detection lib is compiled with an older version of the dynamic engine

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 09:31:29 -0400

On 8/18/2013 00:00, Mike H wrote:
Thanks for the response Waldo, that did the trick! I delete the rules and Snort
runs fine. Seems so obvious now--files not compatible==>delete files :)

pretty much... and the reasoning is twofold...

   1. to remove incompatible files
   2. to remove possibly corrupted files that can be replaced

now, something else is that i did get slightly confused... i was thinking of the
engine, reading "the rules" in your post but i was looking at the
preprocessors... in our past, we've had the situation where an update didn't
remove older libraries and that caused snort to fall over... the solution there
was to remove the libraries and reinstall snort to put only the new libraries it
needed in place... the SO rules are basically libraries... SO means shared
object which is basically the same thing as a dll (dynamic linked library) in
the winwhatever world...

but, removing those incompatible rules is the answer because when you do locate
the proper ones, they may not have the same names or all of them may not be used
so older ones would be left behind...

According to your post this also puts the "newer and proper SO files back in
place". I believe you are implying (or at least I am inferring) that the latest
ruleset comes prepackaged with snort (where are those SO files?). Ok, makes
sense--but the user still needs to update the rules at some point.

no... there are no rules distributed /with/ snort... we must also note that
there is a difference between the rules and the engine... look closely at your
error and you'll see that it references both the engine and the rule...

to be more specific, it is telling you that you are trying to run a SO rule that
is compiled for dynamic engine 1.0 but your snort is running dynamic engine
2.1... 1.0 != 2.1 so they are incompatible...

So, if I am reading that right it means that I can't just go out to
http://www.snort.org/snort-rules/, grab the latest "Registered User" rules and
install them? That seems odd, am I missing something?

they have to be the ones for your version of snort... for example, you can't use
the 2.9.5.3 rules with 2.9.5.0... especially the SO rules and even more
especially if the SO engine(s) have changed...

The Snort install instructions explicitly point you to download and install the
latest rules, like so:

/sudo tar zxvf snortrules-snapshot-2950.tar.gz -C /usr/local/snort/
/sudo mkdir /usr/local/snort/lib/snort_dynamicrules/
/sudo cp /usr/local/snort/so_rules/precompiled/Ubuntu-10-4/i386/2.9.5.0/* \/
//usr/local/snort/lib/snort_dynamicrules/
/sudo touch /usr/local/snort/rules/white_list.rules/
/sudo touch /usr/local/snort/rules/black_list.rules/
/sudo ldconfig/

1. where do you find these instructions?
2. what version of snort are you running? snort -V
3. what specific linux are you running? is it really ubuntu 10.4?

But that just takes me back to the same compatibility error below. I'm sure I am
screwing something up here, just not sure what. Any thoughts on how I can get
the latest rules from the website loaded?

i don't think it is you but there is some miscommunication somewhere ;)

I was hoping to understand how to do this manually, then move on to installing
Pulled Pork. Appreciate the help!

not a problem... we'll get ya sorted out before too long :)

 > Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 20:48:34 -0400
 > From: wkitty42 () windstream net
 > To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
 > Subject: Re: [Snort-users] ERROR: dynamic detection lib is compiled with an
older version of the dynamic engine

 > On 8/17/2013 13:38, Michael Heard wrote:
 > > ERROR: Dynamic detection lib
/usr/local/snort/lib/snort_dynamicrules/nntp.so 1.0