Snort mailing list archives

Re: ERROR: dynamic detection lib is compiled with an older version of the dynamic engine

From: Mike H <mizelhike () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 04:00:58 +0000

Thanks for the response Waldo, that did the trick! I delete the rules and Snort runs fine. Seems so obvious now--files
not compatible==>delete files :)
According to your post this also puts the "newer and proper SO files back in place". I believe you are implying (or at
least I am inferring) that the latest ruleset comes prepackaged with snort (where are those SO files?).  Ok, makes
sense--but the user still needs to update the rules at some point.
So, if I am reading that right it means that I can't just go out to http://www.snort.org/snort-rules/, grab the latest
"Registered User" rules and install them?  That seems odd, am I missing something?
The Snort install instructions explicitly point you to download and install the latest rules, like so:
sudo tar zxvf snortrules-snapshot-2950.tar.gz -C /usr/local/snortsudo mkdir /usr/local/snort/lib/snort_dynamicrulessudo
cp /usr/local/snort/so_rules/precompiled/Ubuntu-10-4/i386/2.9.5.0/* \/usr/local/snort/lib/snort_dynamicrulessudo touch
/usr/local/snort/rules/white_list.rulessudo touch /usr/local/snort/rules/black_list.rulessudo ldconfig
But that just takes me back to the same compatibility error below.  I'm sure I am screwing something up here, just not
sure what.  Any thoughts on how I can get the latest rules from the website loaded?
I was hoping to understand how to do this manually, then move on to installing Pulled Pork.  Appreciate the help!