Snort mailing list archives

Clarification on so_rules

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 10:07:42 -0600

All,

I'm wanting to make sure I have this correct, so here goes.  According
to so_rules/src/README:

To use the shared object rules, the rule stub files must be generated.
To do this, follow these instructions:

  1. Make sure the dynamic preprocessor and dynamic engine paths are
     defined in snort.conf, for example:

  dynamicpreprocessor directory /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicpreprocessor
  dynamicengine /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so

  2. Make sure the path to the location of the shared object rules is
     also defined in snort.conf, for example:

  dynamicdetection directory /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrule

  3. Dump the stub rules by issuing the command:

  snort -c /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf
--dump-dynamic-rules=/usr/local/etc/snort/so_rules

  4. Use a variable to define the path to the stub rules, for example:

  var SO_RULE_PATH /usr/local/etc/snort/so_rules

  5. Include the generated stub rule files in snort.conf in the same way
     the regular rules are included, for example:

  include $SO_RULE_PATH/netbios.rules

I use pulledpork, so instead, /opt/etc/rules/so_rules/so_rules.rules is
created...so far so good.  My question is, what happens with the actual
.so files?  Do I delete them..move them...something else?  Thanks for
any insight.

James