Snort mailing list archives

PF_RING / DNA + Snort and high CPU utilization

From: Scott Finlon <scott.finlon () scranton edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 01:38:49 +0000

Writing this again, this time as a new thread.

I am in the process of moving Snort from an older box to a new box. Both
are RHEL 6 x64, both with the same NICs.
Old box has dual E5-2609s, an Intel x520 NIC, and 32 GB of RAM. New box has dual E5-2660s, an Intel x520, and 64 GB of
RAM.

Using the same configurations ln both boxes, I am using PF_RING/DNA to split traffic across CPU cores on the box, and
can verify using PF_RINGs tool that traffic is being split the way it
should be.

I compiled Snort on the new box fresh, but copied the configs over. The
old box CPU is currently sitting around 10%, the new box has the cores
pegged at 99-100%.

At Beenph's request, I disable HT on the new box, but the CPU is still
maxed.

Any other ideas of what might be causing this to happen?

Scott Finlon, CISSP GCIA
Information Security Engineer
The University of Scranton
email : scott.finlon () scranton edu<mailto:scott.finlon () scranton edu>
phone : 570-941-6168<tel:570-941-6168>