Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snorby - Full Packet Capture

From: Jeremy Hoel <jthoel () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 14:53:08 +0000

You enabled it backwards.  :-)

The server/proxy part should be on Snorby and the client, data
collection piece should be on Snort.

As for multiple servers, we run 50 sensors to one snorby box.  The
URL/proxy/multiple server idea works, in theory, but it doesn't have a
good way to request traffic from one sensor.. instead it goes down a
list and asks each sensor if they have the packets, one at a time and
then when they reply, it goes to the next one.. and the next one down
the list.. until the web query times out.  It might work great for
just 3 or 4 sites.. but we haven't taken the time to figure out how to
make it work better (ie: get packets from the one sensor that the
event is one directly, vs all sensors).

What we've done is built a wrapper around the openfpc-client command
and in the wrapper we added our sensors and then we can query the
sensor directly with a simple script.