Snort mailing list archives

Re: Handling firewall rejected packets in SNort IPS

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 13:19:11 -0400

On 5/19/2013 08:32, VES Education wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

point 1

"what you really want is to force/ensure that the jmptosnort rule is at the top
of the chain so that it is entered first and then anything that passes snort
will come back to traverse the rest of the rules..."

i do hope that james' correction to my original post was noted... i forgot to
flip the -A examples :(

Would it result in performance loss as packet is coming to layer 2 then layer 7
then again layer 2 then layer 7 for actual application.

you have to go thru the queue to get to snort any way you go... if you don't
then snort will never see it... this is what you were speaking of in your
original post... you wanted to ensure that snort saw all packets so that it
could at least report them...

If packet is allowed by Snort I am not sure how it will come back to firewall again.

ahhh... my mind went into "strict" iptables mode where packets traverse from one
table to another table and then they return back to the original table unless
otherwise diverted (dropped or passed directly)...

i'm hoping that others will jump in and contribute in answering your question...

It seems to be tricky thing. Would you mind you to clarify.

i might be steering you wrong and/or confusing you... if so, i apologize...

Thanks,
B.Vijayakumar Athithan